Monday 18 April 2011

Week 5 Group 4 Technologies


Animations and Simulations

I explored the digital animation and simulation tool, but I am not even remotely competent enough to create something using these tools. The learning curve for these technologies appears steep. Existing animations and simulations could be helpful and I would possibly use them if I found some that were appropriate and available for my subject areas.

There are several simulation programs available for manual arts, although they are expensive. I believe the use of these tools could be an effective alternative to owning or operating the real machine in manual arts. The use of cutting simulation tools would be a safe alternative for some students who lack the hands on experience required to operate some of the more dangerous machines in a shop. Younger students could still gain ‘experience’ using the simulated machine in much the same way pilots’ first train on simulators.  Computer numeric programmable (CNC) machines are expensive to buy and most schools would never have the resources to purchase one. Using simulated cutting programs could allow students to develop the programming skills necessary to operate one of these machines. As with any simulation tool it is no substitute to controlling the real machine. This would need to be done carefully as students could develop a false sense of comfort that is inconsistent with their real experience and place them in an unsafe situation.

Google Earth and Google Maps

Most people with a computer have used Google Maps and Google Earth. I find both of these tools useful and use them myself. However, I really cannot see a meaningful way to use them in manual arts that would promote the learning outcomes I believe are relevant to the subject. Even in business I struggle to think of how they could be used. I think both tools would have extremely positive effects for the teaching of geography and history and other subjects by helping students understand how distance and terrain have affected things such as discovery and war. I find both of these compelling tools, but not really germane to my subject areas.

Google Documents for Collaboration

I have previously used Google Documents and find the collaborative nature of cloud computing to be both fascinating and incredibly useful. Google Documents allow participants to do remote real time work on spreadsheets and word processing documents. The ability to support collaborative learning is nothing short of amazing. I probably would have chosen to focus on this technology as I believe it will transform computing and education in years to come. Unfortunately, the assignment requires a demonstration of the technology and I am unsure how I can do that. I can imagine my business students using an online Google word processing document to undertake a group assignment like a marketing plan or case study. With this ability to work in the ‘cloud’, students could work at home in different locations and have real-time ability to create and edit a document. Teachers could even ‘listen in’ on such collaborations or take part. When this is coupled with an online ‘voice over Internet protocol’ (VOIP) program like SKYPE, collaborative learning can take place that is every bit as effective as group work in the classroom.

I believe this could be an important means of working remotely with students. This could be an invaluable tool for schools with a large boarding contingency. I could work with a student wherever they are as long as both parties had a good Internet connection. Working with a student who had an illness or was unable to get to school could become a possibility, as to whether this would be allowed would be up to school officials.

I do see the potential for some problems arising from the use of this technology. Cyber-bullying could become a problem and unequal participation would be difficult to ascertain. I am unsure a school would condone the use of VOIP if it had the capability to broadcast video as well. SKYPE type programs could increase cyber-bullying and the possibility of inappropriate behavior would have to be carefully investigated by school officials.

Online Concept Mapping

I found this to be my favourite of the new technologies I explored. I made several mind maps with Text2Mindmap and am very excited to apply this technology to both of my teaching areas. Concept maps are not new but the ease with which the program allowed me to create them was. Using Text2Mindmap requires students and teachers to create a hierarchy of order for the subject of the mind map that necessitates higher order thinking.

My final mind map was on a lathe for manual arts. To do this I had to identify the major components and then the sub-components of each part of the machine. The end result is a visual representation of the four major components and their sub-components. The diagram in itself would be useful for visual learners in particular, to help understand the relationship between the components. Having students create their own mind map would really require them to use higher order thinking skills. They would first need to analyze how the machine works and then break it down into sections or components.

Here is a mind map of a lathe and its components. This would be targeted to year 10 students who are about to undertake their first project on a lathe. This would get them familiar with the main components and the relationship between the controls and the cutting function. Ideally I would import this into a PowerPoint to create an interactive mind map or into Prezi where pictures could be added to give an additional visual boost to the students to help relate the name to the actual component.

I would find concept maps of even greater use in the subject area of business. Most concepts in this subject lend themselves to the kind of visual representation available with concept maps. Ideas like business cycle, market plan, and organisational structure would be easier to understand with a concept map. Presenting information this way helps students quickly grasp the relationships between the different parts. Concept maps also support higher order thinking skills by logically linking the various parts to how they relate to the whole idea. Concept maps also support constructivist learning by adding additional detail to ideas. The map can grow as students assimilate more knowledge into their understanding of particular ideas.
 

I do not foresee any legal or ethical issues unique to the use of this technology.  

Online Timelines

I did not create a digital timeline, but I can see the possibilities. This could be an excellent sequencing tool in manual arts that would help the students understand the step-by-step processes used in this subject. I was particularly impressed with the ability to embed video clips that could be used to demonstrate the specific processes need to complete a step. The students could also use a digital timeline as an electronic portfolio that would illustrate the entire scope of the project they had completed. This timeline would replace the current paper portfolio used to document and assess the students project. The creative possibilities of a digital portfolio would be far greater than those afforded by a hard copy. The logic and order needed to follow or produce an electronic portfolio would aid thinking skills and help visual learners. This tool could just as easily be used for business subjects to manage the learning of sequential or time sensitive material. The interactive nature of this type of program lends itself to both slow and fast paced learners. This is a tool I will keep in mind especially as it is less popular than some of the other tools that have been explored and the uniqueness of it could engage learners.

Digital Storybooks

I reviewed the ZooBurst example provided on Moodle and do not think it would be appropriate for manual arts or business. Quite frankly I can see this tool used in primary but not secondary. It does not look easy to create a digital storybook and I doubt I have the necessary skills to be successful with this tool. I think the interactive nature of ZooBurst would help younger learners embrace discovery and exploration in literature. The visual aspect would engage learners while still reinforcing the written text. This is not a tool I would use but it is still appropriate in an educational setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment