Saturday 16 April 2011

Week 4 Group 2 technologies


Tool 4 Digital Images

I explored the digital image manipulation tools. I followed the scaffolded instructions and carried out some basic experiments with this technology. A quick look at Picnik came with the realization that it was not really any different than the other software I have used in the past for digital images. I can understand the need to manipulate photographs and other images obtained from personal files and the Internet for use in lessons. I can also comprehend how the use of image management would be of use to my students for their presentations in business, and to a lesser extent manual arts. However, I do not understand how the specific use of the technology itself could be used to promote learning in my subject areas. I can see no learning outcomes in assigning my students the task of editing a photograph, at least that are applicable to business or manual arts. Editing is enjoyable and can make for a more attractive presentation, but does not really further higher order thinking in a practical application that would directly relate to the learning outcomes of my subject areas.

I followed the assignment instructions and opened Flickr and had a look around. I had explored Flickr previously so was somewhat familiar with it. I tried TagGalaxy but I am not sure if I was using it properly as I could never link back to an image in Flickr. This once again highlighted the need to have clear instructions for my students. I found myself frustrated and annoyed at what seemed to be a waste of time trying to get something to work. The TagGalaxy site appears to have no instructions at all, or perhaps they are only accessible to members. In the end, I cannot comment on TagGalaxy as I am not sure what it is suppose to do. Without this knowledge I would not have my students use it.

The biggest issue I encountered with Flickr was the appropriateness of the content. A quick search of portraits quickly revealed a topless woman. I should comment that I believe it is our responsibility as teachers to explore the content as our students might. Having predominantly boys in manual arts I am reasonably certain this type of search would take place, with similar results. Given these results I cannot imagine a school allowing access to Flickr. This renders the site as only something I as a teacher would use to add content to a presentation. I believe the content would be available under Creative Commons, however I would first prefer to have someone with greater knowledge in the legalities of this area make that determination.  

Tool 5 Podcasts

I have often used podcasts in my own learning and find them an excellent and enjoyable tool for learning outcomes. I have used them to augment the lesson on a particular subject. I would source them online and listen to other lecturers explain certain economics subjects that I did not quite understand, like marginal analysis. With this experience I could imagine my students doing the same. In business and manual arts some students grasp concepts easily while others need additional time or information. A podcast could be used to accommodate slower learners, or as a review.

I signed up to Podomatic to create a podcast. The tutorial was straightforward and I was able to access it without any difficulties. The problem I had with Podomatic was it’s incredibly slow speed in operation. Images or audio took an unbearably long time to load, similar to the old dial-up connection speed. I asked some of my classmates their experiences, and everyone seemed to be having similar problems. In the end, I gave up. I understand how impatient many students are, and I doubt any of them would wait 15 to 20 minutes to load a song and the accompanying images. I will look to alternatives, as I believe this is a great technology to engage students.

I can imagine using podcasts in many areas of business to accommodate audio (and visual) learning styles. I could imagine a jigsaw exercise where each student would need to produce a podcast on specific part of a concept, which would then be put together to form a whole ‘picture’ of the idea. Students would need to critically analyze the subject prior to making the podcast and collaborate with the other students to ensure the topic was covered completely. A class podcast detailing the business cycle would be an example.  Podcasting is not interactive in the same way a Wiki is but is nevertheless an excellent method of engaging students. A podcast covering shop safety procedures, created by the students or the teacher, might be an excellent way to cover the material. This could even be done as a ‘walk around’ tour of the workshop, similar to a museum tour, with a podcast lesson on each machine.  

SWOT Analysis

STRENGTHS
·      Excellent for auditory learners
·      Can use ‘empty time’ like bus or car travel
·      Student created podcasts can be an good way for the teacher to ‘check for understanding’
·      Can promote critical thinking
·      Can be tailored to an individual recipient
·      Familiar tool for many students

WEAKNESSES
·      Can be time consuming to make
·      One dimensional - in that there is no feedback option
·      Listener cannot ask questions
·      Not appropriate for the hearing impaired
·      Recording quality can be poor especially master volume too low
OPPORTUNITIES
·      Engages learners anytime anywhere
·      Could be seen as new and fun for learners which could increase engagement
·      Students can repeat lessons for better understanding
·      Use to deliver material to students who are sick or away
THREATS
·      Requires the use of a receiving device, without which a podcast is not mobile
·      Students may lack access
·      Slow connections will frustrate learners who then may not engage
·      Format issues - Apple’s AAC not universally recognized like MPEG


Podcast could also be created of an actual lesson by just having it filmed or recorded. This could be a valuable alternative for students who are away to still receive the material, or to assist slower learners. As an assessment tool, the podcast is an excellent way for teachers to check for understanding by viewing student made recordings. This tool could also help students who have anxieties about performing in front of groups, by allowing them to create and record their own performance. 

Digital Video

I have created my first movie, such as it is. The instructions were for Windows Movie Maker 2.1 which I do not have as I am on a Mac. I used iMovie and had to experiment. I do not have any captured video to edit and so have done a slide show with music. It looks to me as if this program will take some time to understand how to do all the things it is capable of doing. Given what appears to be a steep learning curve I would not require students to use this tool. I do think it could be useful for editing podcasts or student’s oral reports, and would probably use it myself for developing podcasts.  

Digital video could be a good way to engage students who are visual learners. The use of the program can teach organisation and spatial skills. This is not a program I would find particularly useful as a teaching tool in manual arts as it does not really support the learning outcomes of this subject. It allows Power Point slides to be linked to a sound track, although this function is already possible in Apple’s iPhoto, as well as the editing of captured video content. Digital video editing could be useful in business subjects as a presentation tool, but again, preferably for students with some prior experience.

My one big problem with this technology is the potential for abuse it contains. I could imagine captured images being used in inappropriate ways. The potential for cyber-bullying with this tool could be large. I also have some reservations concerning student images finding there way onto non-school websites. Protecting the privacy of students could be jeopardized with widespread use of video cameras and recording devices in classrooms and on school grounds. The school I am training at does not allow years 8,9, and 10 to have mobile phones at school precisely because recorder images have previously been used for cyber-bullying. Before attempting any use of this technology I would want to obtain clear direction from the school administration on their policies regarding video images.

No comments:

Post a Comment